Blog Archive

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Out of Bounds

The Salt River, once an amazing desert watercourse, now quietly disappears into the sands not far from this site located about 5 miles from my home. The greater Phoenix metropolitan area (3 1/2 mil strong) is currently watered from a combination of deep wells and CAP, Central Arizona Project piped in from Lake Mead up north. The Salt is now largely drunk up by irrigation. But when the Apache were still raiding northern Sonoran pueblos for horses and women, the Superstitions and the Salt were the last "frontera". This was a hard painting for me to do. Having had some small success with the first two oils in this JW group, I got a little puffed up and promptly forgot the new artistic progress I'd made so far. I restarted this painting three times.





No comments: